Kids and teens all over the country today are called upon to take over the kitchens to make their favourite recipe or help make a meal for their family. Now being a parent, I cannot say I condone my kids to be left alone in the kitchen cooking for more than 30 seconds without being supervised due to the mess and destruction they can cause within 60 seconds.
So this year I propose to send them outside and get them cooking on the BBQ to teach them new skills and get them involved with being outdoors. So this year we shall be doing all the preparation in the kitchen then heading outdoors to see what culinary delights we can create…hopefully this shall keep their interest for longer than the 2-3 minutes that we are used to.
Not only is a BBQ designed for cooking burgers and sausages, this cave man thinking needs to be altered to give people the joy and fantastic tastes available when cooking on a BBQ. From beer can chicken to homemade pizza to chocolate brownies, there is nothing your BBQ cannot cook that you can cook indoors in your oven.
Here’s how you can join in the fun and make chocolate brownies on the BBQ (or oven should you prefer).
- 65g dark chocolate – broken into chunks
- 75g butterCategories
- 100g caster sugar
- 65g plain flower
- 2 eggs
- 150g milk chocolate – roughly chopped
- Prepare the BBQ for indirect cooking at a medium heat and allow to pre-heat whilst you prepare the brownie mixture
- Line a small Outback foil tray (or other tray) with grease proof paper and lightly grease.
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter in a pan (on the side burner of the BBQ or hob).
- Remove from heat and stir in the caster sugar until it has dissolved.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and ass the chocolate mixture.
- Add the milk chocolate to the mix
- Stir in the flower and pour into the previously prepared.
- Place the foil tray with mixture onto the cooking grate and cook for approximately 30 minutes with the lid closed. Only lifting the lid to check the brownies are ready, to check enter a blade into the brownie – should it come out clean its ready.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes and serve.